PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hospital bombed in the Afghan city of Kunduz.
Old 5th Oct 2015, 18:49
airsound

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Lonewolf
If the ground commander did not identify it as a hospital, and the crew in the aircraft didn't have info that it was, and that was the grid where the weapon was called for ... what a mess no matter how you look at it.
This is what MSF says about that, Lonewolf
Coalition knew hospital location.
The bombing took place despite the fact that MSF had provided the GPS coordinates of the trauma hospital to Coalition and Afghan military and civilian officials as recently as Tuesday 29 September, to avoid that the hospital be hit.
As is routine practice for MSF in conflict areas, MSF had communicated the exact location of the hospital to all parties to the conflict.
http://www.msf.org.uk/node/29536 has much more.

I have supported MSF for many years, because I believe they do an unparalleled job in places that most of us don't even want to think about. They are also totally non-political. Their ethos is based solely on medical and international humanitarian principles. This was the only hospital in Kunduz.

I fully support MSF's call for an independent inquiry. A Pentagon inquiry does not do it for them, nor for me.

airsound

Last edited by airsound; 5th Oct 2015 at 18:50. Reason: spelling