PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging IFR/Instrument Hours
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2015, 14:19
wannabepilot1991

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl
Wannabe, you're confusing 'Visual Flight Rules with 'Visual Meterological Conditions', and 'Instrument Flight Rules with 'Instrument Meterological Conditions', and the logging of Instrument Flight time (IF)
Well, I wasn't confused between VMC and VFR And IMC and IFR. Infact on many occasions, I also have flown under IFR flight plan but logged 0 IF hrs as the conditions were VMC.

What has got me confused is that here in SA towards the eastern coast, it happens often that we have a clear sky, 9999 vis but no visible horizon hence VFR flights get cancelled or granted special VFR. I have also heard one of my instructor say during my MCC training that the conditions might look VMC all the way upto 36000ft, but not much of horizon would you see at that altitude so pilots log as IF time.

I really appreciate you guys trying to sort out my confusion and I stand corrected regarding fl195 and fl200 but how would you log your time spent in such a condition where there is no horizon for I log such a flight as IF excluding the time spent on the ground and from the time I have the airfield insight until the aircraft stops.