PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Regarding PRD areas....
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2015, 06:49
Lozq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding PRD areas....

Hi all, looking fo some opinions on a question that's been discussed a lot at my flight school regarding a nearby restricted area.

The area is R379a, in south eastern Tassie. The back of the ERSA defines it as Military non-flying, SFC to 4000, activated by NOTAM. What no one is able to agree on is whether, as an RA3 (pilots must not flight plan through area and clearances will not be available) it is acceptable to plan and fly through the area when inactive.

One camp is adamant that when it's inactive (as it is 99% of the time) then it doesn't count as being a restricted area, so it's fine to plan/fly through as you would any other bit of uncontrolled airspace.

The other side reckons that as it's classed as RA3 it's effectively off limits round the clock, unless a NOTAM stated otherwise.

I know it's just another 'let's interpret CASA's machinations far more intensely than is probably warranted' question, but I'm asking on the off chance that pilots further afield with more experience dealing with military airspace and PRD's on a daily basis have a definite answer.

I've also lodged flight plans directly through it, and have never had ATC mention anything - although to be honest I don't know if doing so is part of their job. Another question someone can help me with, perhaps?

Thanks in advance, fingers crossed this doesn't spark off a turf war or something (as many seemingly innocent topics seem to on pprune)