PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you deal with...
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2015, 11:53
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you deal with...

...offensive, sexist and rude behaviour of passengers?

Regularly our cabin crew are forced to deal with the above behaviour from a small minority of our passengers. Some of this is verbal, some is physical. A couple of examples if I may:

An ultra-orthodox Jew wishes to know if the crew member serving him is having her period.

A monk looking sort if chap (oriental origin, orange robe, sandals, shaved head etc.) won't sit next to "woman" and won't be told what to do by one either. He will get up and down and do as he pleases.

Some Asian men believe they can grab/touch any part of our female cabin either to get their attention, demand service or make a point.

The expectation by some passengers that cabin crew will stow their carry on bags and retrieve them at the end of the flight.

Not listen to anything cabin crew say (especially female members) because they don't have any "status".

I'm not talking about drunks and/or your average rude git here. I'm talking about people who come from different cultures who fly with western airlines but expect cabin crew to confirm to their local norms. Personally, I would react "very badly" and whenever such behaviour takes place in front of me I "educate" the perpetrator. But how do you cope?

PM