PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2015, 11:25
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Danny, quite agree about the urgent need for a ventral gun position, seemingly not possible in the Lanc because of the H2S radome taking up the room, though provision was made in the early Halifax ISTR. The mid-upper was famously removed for weight reasons by 617 Sqn of course. The only turret that really justified its weight (and moment arm!) was of course the rear turret, in which I have had the privilege of a 20 min flight (in PA474, over Newcastle for its 900th anniversary). The loneliness of that crew position was enhanced by my having no intercom headset to wear. Once those turret doors closed behind you were alone, to confront whatever came out of the dark (more NE murk in my case as two Spitfires suddenly slid in on either wingtip for the flypast). I would not have been a safe pair of eyes to stand watch in that vital defensive position!

I read somewhere that there was constant lobbying to remove one or more of the turrets throughout the night bombing campaign, always for it to be quashed (by Harris?) because of the supposed effects on morale. The weight saved could have been traded for ceiling, range, and/or bomb load of course.

Last edited by Chugalug2; 4th Oct 2015 at 22:05.