PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reno 2015 - Jet Race - The winner is - a DH115!
Old 4th Oct 2015, 05:43
India Four Two

Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts
fdcg27,

I presume "Vulcan" was a typo and you meant "Vampire".

I was lucky to have a flight in one at Her Majesty's expense many years ago and then fly one again three years ago in NZ, when I had enough spare cash to afford the eye-watering costs:

It's called a Goblin, because it gobbles fuel!
I remember commenting to a friend after my NZ flights that the cockpit seemed a lot more cramped than I remembered from my flight at age 21. He charitably suggested that perhaps I was flying a 7/8 scale Vampire!

It was a joy to fly. The owner/instructor said "Just treat it like a 250kt motorglider". With a bit of coaching, I was able to do a run-in and break, followed by several touch-and-goes on a short, by jet standards, runway.

The aiming point was in the grass undershoot and with a slight flare, we touched down between the threshold and the numbers. This was particularly important for the final landing, because of the dodgy, fade-prone, pneumatic drum brakes.

From all accounts, this is a fine handling and safe jet for someone without a great deal of experience.
I have no doubt that with appropriate systems knowledge and more training (and lots of cash), that I could fly it solo.

PS The fuel control is very primitive, so large power adjustments have to be slow.

Last edited by India Four Two; 5th Oct 2015 at 04:08.