PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Statins Bad press
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2015, 05:03
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gingernut and Radgirl

Thanks for your informative posts
There is a big difference from being prescribed a course of tablets like antibiotics and being given a life sentence to commit to taking a tablet with potentially serious side effects for the rest of your life!
Especially when feeling well as in some cases of HBP it is hard to stomach taking pills which make you feel unwell?
From a laymans perspective when the scientific conclusion is questioned or changed which does happen public confidence goes! Cholesterol and its mechanism and interaction is not fully understood and that is the case with HBP
It has recently been discovered That people with HBP are less likely to develop Alkzeimers so are you going to increase the chances of the patient developing Alkzeimers by lowering HBP ?
Smoking cigarettes is taking a drug or rather a number of harmful chemicals I am sure if you looked hard enough you would find some benefits in those poisons in lowering something ?
Wolfarin is a poison but has the effect of thinning blood!
Maybe I used the wrong word saying cure but more fully understanding the reason for something going wrong in the bodies balance and targeting that!
HBP is a good example where now research is looking more at control mechanisms in the brain controlling HBP going wrong or maybe it's natural in some and part of their makeup ?
So really we are looking at long term drugs which can make a patient unwell through the drugs and whether the benefits out way the negatives
When you see sections of the medical world pushing the use of Statins on fit healthy people over the age of 50 alarm bells have to ring
My grandmother years ago was told to take up smoking by her GP to help her relax ) that was a long time ago but things do change )

Pace not medically qualified just interested ))