PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Finding the Airfield
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2015, 22:19
Gertrude the Wombat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
(1) Your title was "finding the airfield", which is often a fun game, when it's somewhere you haven't been before particularly if it only has grass runways. I find that studying the local scenery in Google Earth beforehand is helpful - you can fly your approach to the airfield at the expected height and work out which landmarks to look for.

(2) Even if you've only got an ancient monochrome GPS with no usable moving map in a rented spamcan, "direct to" the destination airfield will tell you how far away from it you are in which direction. And if it's only a handful of miles don't forget to look straight down - it's surprisingly easy to fail to "find the airfield" when in fact you're right on top of it.

(3) And then when you are looking at the ground and trying to find one grass field in the middle of a load of other grass fields, the giveaway is sometimes the presence of parked aeroplanes, which are often easier to pick out than an unmarked or poorly marked runway. (I hear that Fenland give away "I actually managed to find Fenland" badges these days?)

(4) It's quite common that there isn't actually a VOR radial that you can fly along, because nobody has put a VOR in the right place for your trip. But you can plan a "guard" radial from a VOR, so that you know that if you cross it you've gone too far. As most VORs also have DME, you check the DME when you hit the radial and that tells you whether to turn left or right (if you've really managed to get that lost). A guard radial can also (depending on geography) sometimes be helpful when planning how not to infringe a particular piece of CAS.

If you have written on your PLOG the bearings and DME distances of your waypoints from various VORs and other useful things (remembering that you can use "DME distances" to things that don't have DMEs as long as they have idents that you can enter into the GPS) then it becomes quite difficult to become that "uncertain of position" in the first place. (Personally I also write out the dots-and-dashes for the navaid idents, having never passed a radio ham morse test as a child.)

Most of which, you'll see, is about preparation, not about stuff that you make up in the air. I only go flying without any sort of written plan when I'm staying in an area I know very well.

[Having said which, my IR(R) examiner did expect me to do the radial-and-DME thing to tell him exactly where we were on the map, after he'd got me lost by doing stuff that one doesn't do on a normally planned cross-country flight. And then he kept questioning exactly what I was telling him, until I sussed out what his game was ... which was to see how long he could con me into taking my eyes off the AI, and how far into a spiral dive I was going to get before I stopped messing with the map and did something about it.]