PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2015, 21:59
viscount702

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V702 - Whilst local residents have expressed strong opposition to car park developments replacing green-field sites, I don't detect any opposition from residents concerning redevelopment of terminal buildings wholly within the airport's existing boundaries. There was no adverse reaction locally when the Terminals Transformation Project was announced amidst extensive publicity. As a resident myself, it makes no difference to life at home whether passengers at the airport transit an old building or a new one. There won't be any objection from me, and I'd be surprised if my near neighbours would have any objection either. Indeed, the more prevalent view is that the sooner those old buildings are replaced with state-of-the-art new ones the better. An improved user-experience would be welcomed by all. Residents use the airport too, and many actually work in those buildings. They can start construction tomorrow for me. 3rd Oct 2015 19:49
That is good to hear. Don't get me wrong I am all in favour of the expansion and it is definitely needed and overdue but I do anticipate opposition when the relevant applications are submitted.

The trouble is based on what we know development can't start until the area required for the expansion is cleared. The car park near the RVP is needed (according to the airport) but they are clearly having problems with planning.

As we know parking of cars is better for the airport than planes because it brings in more money. However I think the airport have done themselves no favours in constantly needing more parking spaces and latterly using the expansion as an excuse. Why is all this new car parking needed before the expansion.

The new 9000 space carpark under 23R was we were led to believe needed for and to allow for expansion. They have that but there has been little reduction in the parking to the west of T2. They then apply for more parking near to the RVP and if the comments above are correct they are applying for two more before applying for the terminal expansion. I am not surprised there is opposition as the only applications so far are for parking in green areas and nothing for expansion on non green areas.