PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loss of no claims discount
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2015, 18:50
Bob Viking

Received 553 Likes on 151 Posts
Loss of no claims discount

To cut a long story short I have recently returned from 3.5 years in Canada and am currently having a faff with convincing an insurance company to give me the appropriate credit for my claim free driving history.

I have a letter from my Canadian insurance company showing proof of my Canadian history and a letter from my UK insurer from before I left showing I was entitled to 9 years of NCD. This totals 12 years. My current insurer (from a short list of one since they were the only company that would even accept NCD from Canada) is saying they will only take the last three years since the UK history is greater than 2 years old.

The Canadian system doesn't like to credit NCD from previous insurers. I am currently trying to persuade them that a simple letter that states I joined them with 9 years history and attained 3.5 years with them would suffice. However they are proving to be a little inflexible (or just plain thick TBH but I won't tell them that just yet).

Now before I visit a solicitor or enlist the services of a tabloid newspaper to test the validity of the military covenant I feel sure that I am not the first denizen of PPrune to come across this issue.

To that end is there anyone on here who knows any easy fixes before I have to get too excited?

I'm calm for now but if this is still going on in two months time and I am forced to pay significantly more than I am paying now I will get a little grumpy to say the least. I may then start to see why many people don't want to do overseas jobs any more!

I await your replies with trepidation and thank you in advance for your assistance.

BV