PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA Validation based on an FAA ticket?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2015, 17:27
deefer dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do I sit on the fence? Okay, I'll summarise;

Personally I fly both, but only because I have both licenses. The process of getting any country's professional license involves jumping through tedious hoops, and those who manage to get the licenses deal with the hoops they have to jump through. My experience is that those who don't complain get through the hoops much faster.

I also hire pilots and recently three of them needed to get their FAA tickets. Converting them involved exams and check rides. Both were accomplished without complaints. The guys did what was necessary, even though it meant revising sh@t that they had learned years previously.

Recently, because my license (British, before the EASA fiasco) was of no current value, I did obtain a validation to fly an EU registered aircraft. I jumped through the stupid hoops, again without complaint. It took a matter of two or three weeks, but that was one year ago and now I don't know the rules now.

Regarding EASA what do I think? I remember many years ago thinking that they would be the best thing since sliced bread and that I would be glad to see the back of the UK CAA. Be careful of what you wish for springs to mind now. My sentiments are that EASA is as cobbled together as the EU, and the same kind of mess. Speaking factually though EASA is NOT a member of ICAO. Sure, all of the individual member states are, but as an organization of a group of members, EASA most certainly is not an ICAO member. This is the problem it faces, and for this reason its rules and legislation is, in my opinion, are deliberately vague, and without much in the way of teeth.

As those before me have stated, EASA is going to have immense problems forcing through legislation to those operators who do not have their "principle place of business" (as clearly defined in the regulations) in the EU. Operators who do not wish to cowtail to EASA would be well advised to "re-organize" themselves very soon and re-locate their "principle place of business" to somewhere outside of the EU (like IOM for example). Of course this does NOT mean re-deploying the "base" of their aircraft which can of course remain inside the EU.

As far as the "fence" is concerned I am happy to fall into either garden, but when faced with how I operate my aircraft I am firmly on the lawn that has as little as possible to do with EASA bullsh@t.

Back to the OP. Stop complaining - jump through the hoops just like everyone else has done in the past. You are NOT special in any way...just one of a number who may, depending on the operator, have to do it.