PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 70 years ago today....first flight of the Dehavilland Dove
Old 2nd Oct 2015, 15:38
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Morton's

With apologies to the OP, whose English is streets ahead of my German, but mindful of The Wind in the Willows, there's nothing "toady" about the Dove!

As a boy, my first close look at a Dove was just after it had landed at a fairly hot, 5000-foot high aerodrome with one engine shut down. It was a corporate a/c for a mining company, and in my ignorance I hadn't realised that a twin-engined a/c might not perform easily on one engine in all circumstances. A throw-away remark from the pilot set me straight on that one.

In Morton's at Gatwick in the 'Sixties, we had several Doves but, as it remained a single-pilot a/c, rookies like me only got to fly as copilots on the Herons and Daks. Our Dove skippers included our chief pilot, "Tommy" Gunn (who had failed to upgrade his licence above CPL level) and Yvonne Sintes (née Pope). As well as requiring its public-transport commanders to hold a SCPL or ATPL, the DH 114 Heron (by then re-designated HS 114) had become twin-pilot (both due to its MTOW being greater than 12,500 lb).

Most of our Herons were Mark 1Bs with fixed L/G (sorry, undercarriage), non-feathering CSUs, and a MTOW of 13,000lb. We had one Mark 2, which was similar except for its retractable U/C. Finally, we had two ex-Spanish Mark 2Ds, whose fully-feathering props qualified them for Performance A and a MTOW of 13,500 lb. The Mark 1Bs had a lower APS weight than the Mark 2 and 2D, because of the fixed U/C. They all had Gypsy Queen 30s of only 250 HP.

Rhys Perraton mentions Fairflight at Biggin (above), one of whose Heron 2Ds was eventually retired to a pylon outside the Croydon Airport terminal building by the A23 London-Brighton road. At the time, it was repainted in Sammy Morton's colours and the registration G-AOXL. "X-ray Lima" was the Mark 1B that operated the last scheduled flight out of Croydon in 1959 (Capt Geoffrey Last), so for a few of us the retractable (and retracted) gear of the Mark 2D slightly spoils the effect.

The Dove and Heron have fully-castoring nosewheels, with steering obviously possible by differential thrust or aerodynamic rudder, but primarily by differential brake. This was achieved by displacing the rudder slightly, and then applying the pneumatic brakes using the thumb lever on the control column spectacles (only available on the L/H side). On a long straight, it's quite difficult to brake smoothly without yawing slightly. There is, however, an emergency brake powered from an air bottle under the L/H seat. There's a small lever by the bottle, and the air is provided evenly to left and right brakes. The bottle is topped-up from the pneumatic system. I found that, in the long taxi out for a departure on Rwy 09 (as it then was) at LGW, tickling the lever was the smoothest sway of braking if the skipper had allowed me to "drive" from the L/H seat. Not everyone liked me doing it, however...

I think there's still a private Dove based at Biggin, and wasn't there a PPRuNe thread about it recently?