PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thank Yoy FlyBe
Thread: Thank Yoy FlyBe
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2003, 05:20
Flying Boat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Globaliser- I agree it is a very pleasant change to hear of praise.

WT- I think the BHX-JER route is a Q400, good food at the destination too.

Now the downer, I have no problems with the crews of Flybe, they work hard & try to do the best possible, my only problem is with the operational decisions (as reported to the PAX in LGW).

I went to Jersey at the end of MAY, I was booked to fly with BA on the lunchtime flight Weds 21 June, then the CI weather took control. All flights were cancelled due to fog, and no ILS (that is a separate, why? in season? issue).
BA were good enough to transfer me to Flybe as they said they would have a go. Running from the BA lounge, NT, to the gate for JER in South Terminal, proved I was more fit than I thought.

The Captain said we would go because as it stood, it was on his limits but we must go now (doors closed 10-15 minutes early), great I thought my faith in the reputation of Flybe & the Channel Islands was well founded. Then the push back was ridiculously slow and we were then delayed by ATC (may as well upset them too) to let 6 other aircraft ahead, yes there was a gap between heavies & small acs for us to have gone earlier, we took off at least 20 mins later than schedule.

We had a go & returned, no fault of Flybe and I went to the ticket desk to book a later flight. The ticketing staff were very good in trying to accommodate our needs & very helpful. The later flight was cancelled due to Wx but unfortunately this was not conveyed to the Ground staff until almost an hour after scheduled departure, no real problem as this is the Channel Islands.

My area of gripe is what happened on Thursday, I arrived for the lunchtime flight, checked in & waited in the lounge for departure.
I saw our aeroplane arrive at Gatwick & expected to be boarded normally, when the departure time got very close & we were all still waiting for info I asked at the info desk, the poor Servisair assistant had no idea, so I waited by the desk.
The info screens then said ask Servisair.
We did & after 20 minutes of the assistant (well done for your perseverence and cooperation with us punters) trying to get info from Flybe, we were told the flight was cancelled to to bad Wx.
The fact that the Belfast AC had not arrived sounded alarm bells. There were several people waiting for the flight attending the Jersey Rally with contacts on the island. I contacted the island (2 sources) one of my friends said it was strong sun in St Hellier, the other told me the Wx given by the Jersey Met for our time of scheduled arrival, 25,000ft & 10km+ vis.

I then could not get a seat until Saturday 07.00, meant getting up at 02.30.

Why Flybe did you lie to us about the weather? If it was a technical problem tell us the truth, we are old enough to take it.
Also, why didn't you put an extra plane on to absorb the excess?

I heard several people say they would not fly with Flybe because of the lack of contingency planning for when things go wrong.

I trust this saga is the exception rather than the rule but, I will not try to fly with you quickly, you need to win me over again I am afraid.

Many of my friends in Jersey were not surprised at my problems, believing this is a common state of affairs for Flybe.

As you can all see I did have a bit of a problematic time trying to use Flybe.
I see the main areas of weakness as lack of communication between BE, GH agents & passengers. As well as 'Porkies' comming from Ops, believing the punters do not know any better.

FB

Whoops, wrote June, but it was May, sorry.

Last edited by Flying Boat; 1st Jul 2003 at 16:40.