PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - INSANITY
Thread: INSANITY
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2015, 14:47
twentyyearstoolate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with you SOP's, that was a brilliant post Pixy.

I too for many many years have thought the exact same thing. I used to be in a company where we did short sectors, and I worked far far harder than the Long Haul Pilots, for far less money and far less rest. You hit the nail on the head with regards to one of the busiest times in a cockpit being completely unpaid. Simply unbelievable!

I have the fortune now of being in a company and flying predominantly Long Haul. So my days off and rest are more than adequate. However, my Short Haul colleagues work far harder, always tired, yet get far less rest than I, and much less money. One could argue that after years of flying I've "done my time", but that's complete rubbish. Maybe there should be some benefit of years in the trade, but this system needs to be addressed so folks get paid Whilst in Uniform at work, not after the brakes are released. I get fed up of doing courses by my airline of "fatigue management" when they roster these poor people for ridiculous schedules. In a perfect world, there would be no need for faitigue management by pilots, but by the management to ensure it never became an issue for the crew!

Pixy, it would be absolutely great if this way of calculating work schedules, pay, and rest changed throughout the industry. It certainly needs to! Unfortunately won't happen whilst I'm still in this business. Again, great post