PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA in Greece
Thread: GA in Greece
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2015, 09:30
brockbank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Kyprianos

Thanks for your time in putting forward a different view of my experience. Maybe the very pragmatic American GA world has spoilt me, and raised my expectation of what to expect worldwide.

However, just to add a few more facts. I was aware the airfield did not open until 9.00am local, hence my 9.00am flight plan which gives me until 9.30am to open it. I use Rocketroute which gives me the Notams.

Four years ago, I faxed the landing PPR, and kept the proof of transmission that it had been recieved. It was received as the official had my request in front of him. I have no idea why I was allowed to land, or why I had to pay the Euro 500 fine. I did not break the law, I fully complied with the AIP.

The police officer allowed everyone else onto the airfield before 9.00am, locals and people leaving the country. I only wanted to preflight. I had no intention of departing. I will not get stressed at any airfield ever - it is too dangerous, and am always - always, polite.

The previous departing aircraft also had to land at Corfu but also had to provide his onward flight details to the Megara official.

You can wait 2 hours at Corfu for fuel (understandably depends on commercial refueling) and I have never had my passport checked in Corfu. But still have to pay Euro50 for handling.

The official at Megara absolutely tried to charge us a parking fee as well as the airfield usage fee.

The world of aviation is competitive. If I have bad experiences I will not return. I can land at Wick in Scotland from the USA, do customs, entry, oxygen and fuel all within 30 minutes. Same at Bangor going the other way.

For the last 15 years I have been coming to Greece for one month. I love the place and the people. I shall only go commercial in future.