PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cross Wind
Thread: Cross Wind
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2015, 00:43
kaz3g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew into the Alice last year in less than pleasant conditions...very strong nor-easterly but swinging through more than 90 deg in gusts, a lot of thermal activity as well. The ATIS gave RWY 12 as active.

It was a rough ride inbound from Deep Well and the updated weather from the nice lady in the tower did nothing to build confidence. I asked if the grass was available and explained about Austers in crosswinds.

She gave me a "standby" and then came back with "not available".

I said: "This could be ugly!"

She instructed me to orbit while she got rid of an RPT. I looked longingly at the old NE-SW runway turned taxiway and headed for the big black as directed.

There is a God...on short final with what felt like 60 deg laid off for the wind, it suddenly veered and became a wonderful headwind of about 20 knots.

I plonked her down as quick as I possibly could right beside this lovely, wide, mown grass verge, and managed to turn in the shelter of the terminal to taxi to the parking area...Auster brakes were an after-thought.

I got an invitation to go up to the control deck and asked what was wrong with the grass.

She said she thought it might be too rough!

Kaz