PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help! Need a Bit of Technical Input - DC-3 Landing Gear vs. A380
Old 1st Oct 2015, 15:40
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
DC-3/C-47 L/G

Quote from MarkerInbound (my emphasis):
"The gear is held down in the down position by trapped hydraulic pressure and a mechanical safety latch which holds the gear linkage to the aft end of the wheel well when the gear is extended and the safety latch is engaged. The safety latch is controlled by a short lever on the floor just inboard of the Captain's seat. So retracting and extending the landing gear is a multi-step process. To retract the gear you first rotate a clip at the end of the safety latch lever 90 degrees forward so it is no longer holding the safety latch lever to the floor. You then raise the safety latch lever to a 45 degree position from the floor. The safety latch lever also controls a dog and shoe on the landing gear selector valve so now you can raise the landing gear lever to retract the landing gear. When climb power is set you move the landing gear lever to the "OFF" position. When the landing gear lever is moved to OFF the safety latch lever drops to a ~20 degree position off the floor."

That's a very neat description, if I may say so! Rather better than I was given in my type conversion. For young aviators: very important to raise the safety latch fully, as it's fairly stiff and quite a long reach from the right-hand seat, positioned as it is on the floor under the skipper's right elbow. The landing-gear lever (behind and below the co-pilot's left elbow, as MI writes) consists of an aluminium tube over a foot long and about an inch in diameter, usually fitted with a rubber hand-grip on the free end. My second P2 flight of a C-47 Dakota on the line was a heavily-laden night take-off (0430 hrs). The combination of my failing to raise the safety latch enough, followed by a degree of desperation on my part, and a L/G lever that had a circumferential fatigue crack near its pivot point led to a very interesting result...