PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WW2 aircrew in ATC
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2015, 15:03
Brian 48nav

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When I joined CAA in late '73 the vast majority of ATCOs aged c32+ were ex-military aircrew, those who were post-WW2 had in the main been either navs or signallers, but there was a fair sprinkling of ex-pilots.
Virtually all those who were 50 plus were ex-WW2 aircrew. For instance, on my watch at London Centre we had Dick Yeo a Fleet Air Arm pilot who had been on Arctic Convoys, Reg Prior and Jimmy Cox had been school buddies who met up again in a POW camp both having bailed out of burning bombers, Norman Whitelock had been a QFI at Bibury, Graham Stevens was one of several who had been trained at Pensacola in the USA etc etc.
There must have been hundreds of ATCOs who had seen wartime service as aircrew. Just mentioning those names above has made me think how much more respect those guys ( all were ATCO 1s ) were due compared with the plastic MBA type managers that NATS is full of these days.
A former member of Loki's cadet course was writing a history of ATC and he may well have information re WW2 personnel. He used to post here but I'm having a senior moment and can't recall his nom de plume.