PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MEL DDG CDL confusing!?
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2015, 06:59
framer

Received 481 Likes on 129 Posts
fortunately we have a delay code for flt crew querying DD's!
We need to remember that we are all on the same side.
I have worked as both Engineer and pilot, ( currently 737 skipper) and I really appreciate it when the Engineer understands me querying the resultant "fix" and takes time to explain his or her actions and point of view. We aren't privy to the same training and information and any non ATPL Engineer who thinks they understand the Captains role inside out is dreaming. ( and vice versa). Sometimes, before we elect to accept an aircraft and all that that entails we need to align information from the Engineer with knowledge we have ( eg fog forecast at destination, Lithium batteries in the hold, training taking place, notams regarding lighting/ Nav aids) and that may come across as pedantic to the Engineer sitting beside us in daylight with blue skies doing zero miles a minute.
Another element is that we may not know you. There are people ( Engineers & Pilots) who quite simply have sh1tty attitudes and only look ahead to the end of their shift rather than to the end of their career. Initially, we don't know if you are one of those ( it only takes a short conversation to determine if you are one of the true professionals, but determining if you're a drop kick can take a bit longer).
My point is, we are on the same side and any ' us v's them' attitudes are a waste of time and energy. It is easy to say
fortunately we have a delay code for flt crew
, but it is equally easy to say " I'm sick of having to radio for the Engineers to come to the plane and sign off the Maintenance Log correctly".
There is no point however. We just need to accomodate each others needs/ requirements while getting the job done.
Rant over. Time for another beer