PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1 Hour in the Sim
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2015, 21:20
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
I have been lucky enough to have four goes at SIMs two 30 minute sessions on 737NGs at Gatwick shared with another person (you sit in the jump seat while he flies which is still v interesting) then you get your turn best to go second as you get familiarised on his time.

Also had a longer session at same location on an A320 which was interesting to compare with the much older 73 and much much more ergonomically designed witha far better view altho the side stick does take a bit more getting used to.

On this session met Chelsea as he was Goalkeeper Peter Cech in the briefing room he had two hours of 747 time booked and the instructor told me he had been on several previous occasions -a clever guy being holder of degree in Psychology he told me he had always fancied being a pilot but football got in the way-canot blame him earnings wise.

More recently ahd an hour in the fixed base shoreham 737 sim-also good fun since the visuals give youa sensation of movement thats not actually there. Having had a few 'goes' on the earlier session I asked to be a 'proper ' pilot and doa line flight MAN-LHR gate to gate which was really interesting and great fun , did pretty well too except for forgetting the existence of the rudder when getting rid of drift on landing and banking a bit too much for any cyber pax comfort (actually my wife was jumpseating and didnt notice)

All in all most educational and showed that while most of us can do a normal take off and even a reasonable landing when theres no wind or impaired visibility throw in any one of wind rain and darkness let alone all three and thats a very very very different story.

So I am super envious of you having a go on the mighty 74 and you have to chose that because soon they will be gone forever and if Kai Tak isnt possible try JFK 13 L on the infamous Carnasie approach for a real challenge.
Have fun and good luck