PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1 Hour in the Sim
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2015, 17:15
Hartington

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
It is a year or two since I last saved enough to take an hour at Cranebank. On that occasion I was booked in 777 and as we walked the halls we were talking about aircraft types and their sims. I mentioned something about a 757 and he said we could use one but the visuals were not as good as the 777 so we stuck with the 777. I think you will find that, as a general rule, the newer the aircraft the newer the sim and the better the visuals.

However good the visuals are they remain slightly unreal (for me) although your senses are so overloaded with other stuff it doesn't matter. My handler/instructors have tended to reccomend dusk as a good compromise.

For personal reasons I know the airspace around San Francisco quite well. Depart one of the 28 runways, fly straight ahead to the Pacific,turn right up the coast,right over the Golden Gate, right again over the Bay Bridge go past SFO, over the San Mateo bridge keeping near to the east bay shore then a 180 to the right will line you up for one of the 28s again. On one occasion we were doing JFK instead. Just about managed a Canarsie approach (round the edge of the Bay) then I was told we had enough time for a simple straight in from about 12(?)miles. Did I want to be on the centre line left or right? Whichever I chose found us close to the twin towers (this was not long after 9/11) which was disconcerting!

In case you are wondering how I afford these trips I have a savings account that I put ten pounds a month in. Every 4 to 5years I have enough for an hour.