PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Sydney Stuff up
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2015, 04:02
Ollie Onion

Received 213 Likes on 72 Posts
This is bullsh*t training, final approach is not the place to be doing this, they could have used any cruise segment to discuss these sorts of scenarios. Unfortunately OZ aviation seems to be full of these astronaut style training and check Captains who are hell bent on sweating the small stuff.

I had to tell one a few line checks ago that he was going to have to be quiet as I was trying to brief the approach and he kept interrupting me with questions like 'what oil pressure do you get an advisory warning?' and 'what would be the normal tire pressure for the nose wheel??'. He gave me a piss poor report after I told him that it was pointless asking me asking obscure limitations like that as I am not the type of person who can memorise and regurgitate ALL limits in this detail, he thought I was trying to be cheeky but I was actually being honest, I can recall major limitations and limits to not kill yourself but can not remember stuff like tire pressures.

If I had been this trainee my response would have been, 'well at 1,500' on the approach with a downgrade failure in less than CAT 1 conditions I would go around fuel permitting?' I can't possibly accurately read and interpret a table in the QRH and make a decision by 1,000' while also configuring and completing the landing checklist!;