PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The dramatic A380 landing
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2015, 01:38
Monarch Man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know where the loc antenna is because I've watched endless students in the sim de-crab only to find themselves downwind. Digging a little deeper I found it was because they where using the LOC to line themselves up, as they often didn't know how much the length of the aircraft displaces their picture from the centerline.
And therein lies the rub, the SIM whilst being a valuable tool is a pinball machine when it comes to realism and feel with respect to crosswinds and using a technique.
Unfortunately Wiz, a good proportion of your colleagues utilise little in the way of finesse when teaching students because they themselves are woefully inadequate or inexperienced when it comes to operating in marginal or limiting conditions. It's sadly a reflection of the lowest common denominator, and hence your perfectly reasonable and sensible technique is lost in the jumble of poorly thought through SOP adherence, miss handled aileron inputs and worst of all an inability to use the rudder properly.
5 hrs of bumps and circuits in 10kts of xwind in a chipmunk would instill some reasonable piloting.
The other issue relates to a huge over reliance on automation, how often do you see people get out of shape on the line thanks to disconnecting at 500' and being blissfully unaware of the forward slip that is applied?
In any case, I'm a huge advocate of flaring slightly upwind which maintains the centreline and allows for a margin of error when coping with gusty conditions i.e. AMS, DUB, BHX, GLA etc etc