PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2015, 23:45
Danny42C

Reference:

"RAF Aircrew Trade/Branch | Military History Forum www.militarian.com › The Wars › World War 2 "Officially, the role of Observer was split in mid-1942. However: 1) many of those who had trained as Observers continued to wear their 'O' after this date, even though they would have been re-assigned as either a Air Bomber or Navigator. Their arguement was that they trained hard for that role and so would resist any official attem,pts at taking taht away. 2) Though officially the change was supposed to occur in mid-1942, it didn't really occur practically until very early 1943, so many of those undergoing training for most of 1942 were presented with the O wing rather the B or N "

Kyt, Jul 2, 2009 (Cited from: RAF Aircrew Trade/Branch | Military History Forum)

------------------------------------------------

mmitch (your #7430),

" Those not passing could be selected for navigator or air gunner ". Sounds as if the Bomb Aimer option had not yet come in. In late '40 I was enlisted in the VR as "u/t Pilot/Air Observer", although there were plenty of Wop/AGs around (but I don't think any "straight" AGs until later). These were certainly in by March'42, as our group of newly hatched Sgt-Pilots were under the (nominal !) Command of an equally sprog Pilot Officer AG in a Transit Camp (and none too happy about it).

And Pete (your #7432):

" One other point that I noted was that the "wash out" trades are listed as Navigator or Air Gunner. I am wondering if that should read "Air Bomber " raises the same question.

-------------------------------------------------

Taphappy (your #7433 to Danny42 and Petet),

" My recollection from early 44 was that after aptitude tests at ACRC you were allocated your aircrew trade,. in my case Nav/W. If it was Pilot you then went to Grading school then to ITW. If you didn't make it at Grading School you were then remustered as Navigator or Bomb Aimer ".

So by early'44 the Bomb Aimer had joined the crew.

--------------------------------------------------

mmitch (your# 7434),

Yes, by the time he was testing Concorde, ITW must have seemed a long, long way back in the past. In my memory it stands out as the best organised Course of all the ones I attended during my years in the RAF. Danny.

--------------------------------------------------

Petet (your #7436),

I suppose I was "categorised" at my Selection Board (late'40) and enlisted in the VR as a "u/t Pilot/Air Observer". I do not remember being "assessed" as to my suitability for further employment at any stage of my training. Except that, at the end of Primary School, my instructor told me that he had recommended me for "Pursuit Ships" (the FJs of the time) rather than "Bombardment Ships" (although perhaps on the basis that, as a single-seater, I could only kill myself and not an entire crew !)

Thereafter, we were packed off en bloc to the same Basic and Advanced Schools; there was never any option to go for multi training (although in the end that was what the RAF would need).

(Your #7437),

AFAIK, "Vaccination" is for smallpox, we got "inoculated" for everything then known to medical science. There was a suspicion that some of the u/t Nursing Orderlies on the production line were just practising their "jabbing" skills on us with syringes full of sterile solution (instead of on oranges, then unobtainable).

------------------------------------------

Ormeside (your #7435)

"..... We were not allowed to wear our uniforms until the tailor (s) had made sure that they fitted...."

The RAF had changed since I started two years before ! After having been roughly "sized" in the Clothing Stores at Reception Centre, you were stuck with what you'd been issued with (in my case a "part-worn" jacket) unless the SWO thought the result was too ridiculous and authorised an exchange.

Being a stock size, my kit more or less fitted me, and I kept it until I went out to India in '42 (and was commissioned out there, and handed my blues in). Often wondered what happened to the original wearer of the jacket - he'd written his service no. on the label, but I didn't take a note of it. A pity, as it might have been possible to trace him now.

"..... We were posted to No 8 Initial Training Wing at Newquay on 16th January 1943 living in commandeered hotels.pay fears tree shillings per day less 1 shilling for our national insurance....."

I went there on 1st June'41, we were billeted in the Trebarwith Annexe (the Trebarwith Hotel had been requisitioned for the RAF HQ, and we had our Airmen's Mess and lecture rooms there). I was paid 2/- a day net (less 6d "Sports Subscription" [sounds like a nice little earner for someone] and any barrack damages). After finishing the Course, we went up to 5/6 a day as LACs.
Like you, I'd started in the Civil Service (aged 16) at 30/- a week, and wouldn't have been earning much more at 19 when I enlisted.

"..... and did 70 hours on the Stearman. Weeks leave, then the mighty AT6A or Harvard or Texan!!...."

I think it probable that you had Harvards (the "Canadian Car & Foundry" were building them out there). AT-6As would have had the forward-firing single 0.300 Browning; none of the Harvards I flew later were armed. But at least you were spared the experience of the Vultee BT-13, which might have been designed with the object of demonstrating just how bad an aircraft can be and still fly.

Cheers and regards to you all, Danny.