PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nacelle fins?
Thread: Nacelle fins?
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2001, 13:01
john_tullamarine

Spinash,

It is all thoroughly good fun, is it not ?

At the moment I am only going on your brief description, although I will have a look at the nacelles when I get an opportunity. Until I see the size and position on the nacelle of the devices, I can only talk in very general terms.

One needs to keep in mind that there is a range of problems which these sorts of things are intended to minimise or otherwise control. For instance, it may be that this fix is simply one of effecting a clean separation to avoid Karman-type shed vortex excitation of the empennage structure. I don't incline to an OEI problem being involved. Ventral test fix fins usually are fitted to provide a defacto increase in the fin area to improve directional characteristics. Unless your devices are fitted underneath and are of a reasonable size, I wouldn't expect that this is their purpose.

And let us hope that QF grows the organisation into a significant longterm player in the Oz marketplace.

I presume, of course, that there is no specific detail in your engineering notes or AOM on the devices ? - ie you aren't just stirring the pot here, are you ?

Zeke,

We crossed paths. The AFM won't have any CG/stall variation - like most certification matters, the end document shows only the final data outcome, not the detail which contributed to it. The problem with rule status is that a current rule may be of no relevance to an older, existing type - so one has to be careful with reading something into an aircraft which might not be there - hence the need always to check the TCDS and dig out an appropriate archive copy of the rules - and even then, you can't be 100 percent sure that a variation deal wasn't done in respect of the particular matter of interest. So far as anciliary data is concerned, its importance lies in the regulator's accepting that set of interpretations so, to some extent, they become the defacto rules.

I suspect that we could have a most enjoyable and interesting beer some time ...... you sound like a stressman ?

[This message has been edited by john_tullamarine (edited 23 May 2001).]