PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emergency Descent: Lowering landing gear
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2015, 18:05
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO there ain't no rush in modern a/c (jets). There is enough onboard O2 for pax and crew to complete a rapid (emergency descent) into oxygen rich air just by using speed and speed brake to descend. Using gear, which you will need later in full working order, should not be necessary.
There was a debate on here a couple of years ago, about emergency descents; perhaps more a crew/ATC coordination ICAO procedure discussion. After having read some reports following emergency descents due to total loss of pressurisation, and also having had a pax on a biz jet with ear problems, I caution against the standard SOP of very high ROD below FL 150-180. There is plenty of O2 outside for people to survive and below FL150 no problem. I've been skiing at FL130, as have many. The problem with high ROD below FL150 is clearing your ears, even the healthy. Severe ear problem, burst drums etc., is an incapacitation, and not just for a few days. In one case >20 pax were effected. What if it were crew members? I still reckon at FL180 2000fpm is enough & FL130 1000fpm is enough. There is enough O2.
So the idea that this is a panic meteorite re-entry manoeuvre IMHO needs to be rethought. I wait to be shot down, but note I comment only about the ROD when in an sufficient O2 environment. Remember, in B's QRH it suggests maintaining crz speed in descent if structural damage is in doubt. If it's OK for the people then it's OK all the time. Thus ROD will be less than max even at high levels.