PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How are RAF Pilots categorised into; Fast Jet, Multi-Engine, and Rotary Wing?
Old 29th Sep 2015, 09:45
bandoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EFT musings: rumour and myth

Always thought it was a triple combo. The detail below is based on rumour and myth banded around in the crew room at EFT....

We thought selection was made on:

Category 1. Slots available (primarily)

Category 2. Grade at EFT FHT and accompanying comments from CFI/Boss.For someone who had expressed a preference for FJ the following might be true for an average intake where slots available were proportionate to the aircraft in the inventory:

Score 3:3 or below - nope. Say 5% chance
Score 3:4 - rare to get FJ but possible if there were many more FJ slots than
candidates. 20% chance.
Score 4:4 - was a standard green light for being considered for FJ (depending on whether there were slots). 50% chance
Score 4:5 - You'd be perhaps a little unlucky not to get an FJ slot. 65% chance
Score 5:5 - 90% chance
6:5 or 6:6 - Do these people exist?! 99% chance

Category 3. Some kind of behind the scenes character assessment by QFI/CFI/boss to thrash out whether certain cockpit environments would really not be good match for you.

I was a 3:4 (well, a 4:3) with good comments from the Boss who saw me through FHT, but the small mention of "may struggle to keep up in fast moving environment" meant for me that any tiny prospect of FJ was dashed.

Note: for those not familiar with this kind of EFT grading, one score was for Airmanship and the other for Handling - with the potential to receive a maximum of 6:6 (theoretically.....).

Last edited by bandoe; 29th Sep 2015 at 09:56. Reason: Further explanation around EFT scores