PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Statins Bad press
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2015, 17:59
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am opposed or rather concerned about statins because I had a really good friend who was an elderly pilot in his 70s who flew with me.

A fit guy for his age who walked his dog 5 miles every day.

Within the space of a couple of months I was seriously concerned at his forgetfulness with what appeared to be dementia doing stupid things in the cockpit like attempting to turn onto 100 degrees instead of 010 to fly South to North to his homeland in Scotland.

When asked why? he simply stated that he misheard 100. I told him that he should know which direction Scotland was in. Another time he asked me to call his wife and could I remember his home number as he had forgotten.

I had a serious chat with him as he was now becoming a danger and he told me that his doctor had put him on Statins as a precaution because of his age.
He also complained of feeling tired and muscle aches so much so that he was no longer walking the dog 5 miles.

He stopped the Statins and quickly returned to normal.

I have no doubts seeing the abrupt changes that the statins were the cause and since then have eyed them with suspicion.

I also realise that the drug companies make a fortune from these drugs and won't plough money into reasons why they should not be used
So having seen the effects on my friend I would tend to believe that these drugs will cause premature ageing. At Minimum a full independent study should be made into the claims below and not by the drug companies who will stick their heads in the sand claiming all is fine?

Statins prevented stem cells from performing their main functions, to reproduce and replicate other cells in the body to carry out repairs.

The researchers found the statins prevented stem cells from generating new bone and cartilage.

They also found they increased ageing.

Professor Izadpanah said: “People at high risk of heart disease can reduce this risk by taking statins. However, considering the adverse effects of these drugs and their association with so many side effects, it is crucial people are fully aware of the risks before they take the treatment.”
Pace

Last edited by Pace; 28th Sep 2015 at 20:33.