PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2015, 16:09
John Farley

Do a Hover - it avoids G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F35 seat

Some time ago on this long running thread, when there was much concern expressed by some about the STOVL flight control system in the B model, I explained why I felt they should not worry on that particular account.

Now I would like to attempt the same thing re the ejection seat:

The seat fitted to all versions of the F35 is the Mk16E which is quite different from the earlier 16A to 16D models.

Its spec required it to be tested with a nude pilot weight range from 103lb to 245lb.

It is fitted with a comfort cushion which shows how far things have moved on in dealing with the initial loads on the pilot by tailoring the gun and rocket combination.

A Yak test pilot friend of mine who used the seat fitted to the 38 and the 141 said they had never had a failure of the auto eject system although there had been cases of auto ejection being triggered because the pilot exceeded pitch attitude limits when in the hover.

Because of this when I was on the Red team before the first flight of the X35 I was delighted to be told that L-M had gone to Yak for details of their system rather than re-invent the wheel.

Friends of mine who have used the latest ant-g systems (full torso jacket plus pressure breathing etc) tell me they work best if you relax into them rather than do the old grunting straining stuff. If true that could really help the old fatigue issues of my day.