PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2015, 22:08
Ormeside28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gaining An R.A.F. Pilots Brevet in WW 11

Hi Danny et al. At the risk of repeating myself. A school friend and I, both 18 in March 1942, and forbidden by our fathers, both 14/18 vets, to volunteer until our 18th birthdays, volunteered for Aircrew at Shrewsbury. Big hold ups in the training meant that we did not get our papers until November. We left with another school mate on 23rd November 1942 for ACRC, Lords. It must have been a very busy day as we were inducted, inoculated, maths rested, given night vision tests at Abbey Lodge. Then collected all our kit and "marched" to Grove Court which had been taken over by the RAF . We were shown how to make up our beds, then "marched to a similar establishment on Hall Road. The garages under the flats were used as an enormous mess hall, and the food was surprisingly good.back to Grove Court and we had to scrub the (very clean) floors of our rooms. We thought that this was very cruel, but I suppose it helped the inoculations to course around our bodies. Our Corporad Gartside had us drilling next morning in cavendish Avenue. We were not allowed to wear our uniforms until the tailor (s) had made sure that they fitted. Once we were considered not to be a shower, we were marched at Light Infantry pace around. St Johns Wood and to lectures at Seymour Hall. We were posted to No 8 Initial Training Wing at Newquay on 16th January 1943 living in commandeered hotels.pay fears tree shillings per day less 1 shilling for our national insurance , which ensures that I get a pension in my old age!
After three months and exams we were now Leading Aircraftmen at seven shillings and three pence per day. When I left Barclays Bank the previous November I was paid thirty shillings a week, so I was over a pound a week better off and all found.
Because of the delays in the training system, Grading School was delayed and the time was taken up with more navigation sand lots of clay pigeon shooting and lots of drill and PT. no hardship with sea sand and good company.
Grading School started on 10 thJune at Wolverhampton where we shared the airfield with Boulton Paul. We were bussed to a satellite airfield some twenty miles to the north. We were to fly twelve hours, with a seven hour check by the flight commander. I didn't do too well at seven, but at my 12 hour with the Squadron Commander I was allowed to go off solo! What a thrill!!
Then it was off to the Aircrew Despatch Centre at Heaton Park, Manchester and Liverpool and the Mauretania to New York and on to Moncton.
Arrived Moncton 2 nd September 1943, and No 1 B.F.T.S Terrell, Texas,
4th October. 18 Course.
Started flying Stearman 9 th October, soloed 20th after 8.30 Last trip was on 1st December and did 70 hours on the Stearman. Weeks leave, then the mighty AT6A or Harvard or Texan!!
started on AT6A on 7 December 1943. 8 hours cockpit drill, first flight was on
11th December. Solo after 5.15. Got mumps on my 20th birthday, put back to 19 Course and awarded Wings on 18th June 1944. Hours on AT6A 140.