PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can I instruct in US without working papers
Old 27th Sep 2015, 21:36
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm neither Canadian nor American, but I am a part time instructor with a good day job.

I've been able to get a small amount of regular instructing through a couple of schools where I live in England: as well as some freelancing: British rules are similar to Canadian - training for a licence or rating needs to be in a school, but some freelance training of existing licence holders for certain purposes is perfectly legal.

I got this instruction through getting to know the staff at the schools, and demonstrating that I could fly and instruct well, and be trusted. I do it because I enjoy it, students seem to get value from my instruction, and it's valuable experience that makes me a better pilot.

Beyond friends and fellow syndicate members, I don't do this for nothing. That is, frankly, immoral - people with much lower incomes than me are relying upon instruction for their main income - if I make it harder than it already is for them to get work, I'm absolutely not playing fair. So I charge the market rate (actually on aeroplanes I have particular skill, a bit above), and if I can take the work - well it was a level playing field. If they take work I could have done, but they need for their income in that level playing field - full power to their elbow.

I wouldn't go as far as punching you in the face, but I'd certainly criticise your attitude. If I can do this in England, it's possible for somebody with the right attributes to do it in Canada: if you don't have the right attributes in Canada, you probably don't have them in the USA either.

G