PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair "birdstrike" out of Corfu, 24th September
Old 27th Sep 2015, 19:54
davidginola

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryanair "birdstrike" out of Corfu, 24th September

Evening all. I had the pleasure of flying back from Corfu last Thursday (24th September) with Ryanair to Prestwick.
After a 4 hour weather delay, we finally departed to a very loud thud which seemed to come from the right side of the aircraft. There was then a noticeable noisy vibration sound during the climbout, after which it seemed like we levelled off and engine power was significantly reduced.

After about 15 minutes, the captain came on and told us that unfortunately they suspected that they'd "hit a flock of birds" on departure, and would therefore be diverting to Brindisi where the Ryanair engineers would check out everything "just to be on the safe side."

Another 15 minutes passed, and the captain came back and said that following a discussion on the flight deck, along with the engineers, and also with Corfu ATC (who'd failed to find any evidence of a bird strike) the decision had been taken to continue to Prestwick. This was met in the cabin with an equal mix of relief (at getting to go home) and worry (at potentially continuing despite 15 minutes previously being told that a diversion was necessary.)

My questions are:

1. Other than a birdstrike, is there anything else which would explain the loud thud and then vibration on departure?
2. Is it normal to take a decision that not only a birdstrike has occurred, but to divert the aircraft, only to change your mind?
3. What are the chances that the crew involved would be able to explain what actually happened?!

I'm an operational controller, so I know how common birdstrikes are and the conversations which take place after they're suspected to have happened. However, in my experience, diversions seem pretty rare, and I struggle to see what new evidence could come to light which would change the decision to divert once that decision has been made.

Thanks a lot!