PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 777 on fire in Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2015, 19:31
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BKK Buggy
@TDRacer:-
Are you referring to the QF Golf Buggy? I don't think economics came into that decision; it was Rainman & QANTAS corporate reputation by accounts. Never lost a hull...

There was a case of a 747 heavily damaged in runway over-run back in the 1980's that was repaired and returned to service even though it cost more to repair than it was worth, simply because they needed the aircraft and Boeing didn't have any available delivery slots.
Folks,
It is about time to put the OJH issue to bed.
The repair was a commercial decision, made by the insurance companies. The figures are well known, the repair was just under US$90M, the value of the aircraft around US$140 at the time.
There is an excellent TV documentary of the subject, you will probably find it on YouTube.
As a bonus, the repairs and re-rigging were so well done that it became the best in the fleet, fuel wise, delta fuel more than 3% better than the worst, better than baseline book, and the ONLY one in the fleet that flew with zero rudder trim in cruise.
I know from personal experience, not company propaganda, I flew it often enough before and after tearing up the General's golf course.
And, no, Qantas never self insured it's fleet, another nonsense story.
Tootle pip!!