PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cargo Aircraft crashes in Accra
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2015, 17:15
skridlov

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nigerian aviation

I suppose this won't last long but here goes anyway.
Back in the 80s I was involved in sales and hire of broadcast television hardware, based in London. I had quite a few Nigerian customers. One common factor amongst them was that they didn't trust The System to repay their VAT. So I usually offered to run them and their purchases (which could be very heavy and bulky) out to Heathrow for the 2100 Nigerian Airways flight to Lagos from T3 and to physically present the hardware to Customs in order to get the export forms stamped (I hadn't charged the VAT). Customs would usually come down to meet me at the NA check-in - where, every time, there were at least half the passengers doing "private deals" with the check in staff (ie bribing them to undercharge/under-weigh their luggage).

One day one of the Customs guys said to me "I sometimes wonder how this flight gets off the runway every night, there's so much undeclared baggage on board." On that occasion we'd checked in a projection TV system the size of a small car.

Of course this has nothing to do with the crash in question and I imagine nothing like this ever happens these days. Does it?