PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Letter from MH
Thread: Letter from MH
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2015, 12:00
McNugget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What concern is it of ours what the specific delay code is?

In my experience, and thinking pragmatically (as opposed to passing the buck) - OTP is pretty much never affected by flight crew actions. Ordinarily, It takes a few minutes to set the aircraft up, a few more to for briefs and checks, and the rest of the time is usually waiting for other departments to come through, like LS, fuel loading, boarding etc. before we can continue. If everything is ready when we are, it would take 15-20 minutes tops

If we are recognised as being slightly late on the bus, so be it. If that turns out to be the critical info to solve the dreadful OTP - then they have options. Separate transport, earlier sign on (FTLs start ticking - fine) or my recommendation; as done at outports/bases, go straight to the jet and review paperwork on board.

In reality though, from what I can ascertain - passing the buck over from one department to the next on a micromanaged level won't solve the problem. The common themes I see generally rest with ATC ground delays, flow control, tugs/drivers, aircraft towing to the gate and connecting pax. That's what needs sorting. What seems completely irrelevant is pretending that a minute's delay getting on the bus leading to a subsequent minute's delay in boarding is the source of the problem. It's all a bit 'tail wagging the dog' to me, which is fine. I do what I can, which is all I can do.

As for being 'monitored' - lol.