PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Chief Pilot
Thread: The Chief Pilot
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2015, 02:40
Ixixly

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
I've had a short stint as a CP before for a small mob and heartily agree with what was written in that mag. IMHO though you don't always realise what you're doing wrong until it bites you and I definitely didn't get everything right the first time myself but will certainly take the lessons learnt and apply them in the future.

Going to disagree with you Zanthrus, a CP should care about Finances as well, just not to as high a degree as Safety, getting your Pilots to fly not only Safely but Efficiently as well will mean the company makes more money and the Boss is more willing to spend on extra toys to make things easier/safer, whether that's extra Equipment such as GPS, Upgrades for the Aircraft such as VG Kits, Bigger Donks etc... or perhaps just simply newer and more capable Aircraft, that can all improve safety.

Also I personally don't regard the two (Safety and Efficiency) as mutually exclusive as disregarding Safety for the sake of profits will eventually cause an Incident which will likely make all the profits gained by corner cutting totally redundant, ie, "If you think training is expensive then try having a crash!"