PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2015, 21:47
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAN is doing rather well without trying to constrain LHR
Whilst MAG has its own views on LHR, especially in view of group ownership of STN, I am not aware of any active campaign by them to 'constrain LHR'. MAN has actually been remarkably reticent about expressing views on this topic until the latter stages of the process. Some PPRuNe regulars suggested they could have spoken out more forcefully. Certainly, it seems inappropriate to imply that MAN is involved in 'trying to constrain LHR'.

certain posters deny the wider benefits of LHR to the UK
Consider me one of them. The problem with these 'wider benefits' to the regions is that they are pitifully small to not there at all. And definitely outweighed by the 'potential benefits' of regional projects of merit which are denied funding in favour of yet more public investment in London and SE infrastructure.

people are constanatly angry at not being served their "fair share"
Just look again at those numbers I posted comparing infrastructure spending in London versus the example of the North-East region. £5305 v £414. This isn't afew percentage points of differential. London is getting almost THIRTEEN TIMES (!!!!) per head what a NE resident is receiving. And this imbalance is three decades old with every sign of the gap widening further. This is not a case of small-minded provincials failing to understand the big picture. This is a massive and very real scandal. Those who speak out are absolutely right not to be rolled over on this (yet again). They get a hearty pat on the back from me, not a condescending shake of the head. They are the ones who do "get it".