PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2015, 17:02
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello Courtney Mil:
"The top gate is measured using the altimeter, not visual cues. On the way down the altimeter is the main gauge too until the very late stages; even then it's the King. I think I see where you're going with this, but I would consider it unlikely."

Thanks for that. I wouldn't want you, aox, thing or anyone else to think I'm offering height misconception caused by the scaled-down runway at Shoreham as a primary factor in this accident. But, if (for whatever reason) the pilot was at any stage disoriented, and if he had then seen the runway, it might not have helped in sorting things out.

Quote from Union Jack:
"Turnhouse should not be described as a provincial airport, since it serves the capital of Scotland, by definition the very antithesis of a province.
"Glasgow on the other hand....."

Quite, but it worked as an attention-checker! Yes, and Abbotsinch (or Renfrew, as one of my old skippers persisted in calling it) Rwy 05/23 (46m x 2665m) fits the bill even better. As for "provincial" airfields, how about Aldergrove's 07/25 (45m x 2780m)?

Last edited by Chris Scott; 26th Sep 2015 at 17:34. Reason: Last sentence added.