PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Chief Pilot
Thread: The Chief Pilot
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2015, 07:56
framer

Received 494 Likes on 132 Posts
Great post thanks Kim.
I would be interested to see what you think about a Chief Pilots ideological leanings regarding Unions and Management.
The reason I ask this is that it seems to me that to be chosen for CP by the Executive Management it is unlikely that you will be a strong Union personality. Yet at the same time it appears to me that if you have strong leanings towards modern ' sink or swim' business models you would be conflicted regarding safety related decisions and struggle to lead a pilot group who tend to be more 'human' than ' balance sheet' .
That makes me think that the truely successful CP can keep the pilot group inspired and informed while at the same time being capable of introducing 'lean operations' techniques that the shareholders love , all the while not compromising safety. A big ask. An ask which will most definitely require saying 'No' to both management and the pilot group as appropriate. Seems like a lonely place to be and a role that could only be successfully filled by true leaders ( most of them have never read a book on leadership and I don't profess to be one).
Anyway, what do you and your colleagues think about ideological leanings of a successful Chief Pilot ?
Framer