PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bournemouth PIREP. Handling fees, the good, the bad, and the politics
Old 30th Jun 2003, 21:03
big.al

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FFF -

If you want to strut through the passenger terminal, try Norwich. I went there last October (and will be going again soon). No handling fee, just a landing charge of £13 (they only charge a tenner for any type of training flight).

I parked the C150 at stand 5 next to the Terminal building - mixing it with several Eastern Airways J41s and a Britannia 757. Entry to the terminal is through the 'Aircrew' entrance and then you can wander around in your dayglow jacket, impress the pax and have a coffee or lunch in the cafe.

But in all seriousness, Norwich were very GA friendly for a fairly substantial (if quiet) airport. As I changed frequency from Tower to Approach on departing runway 27, the ATC guy even said "regards to Big.Al" so he must have read PPrune and worked out who I was from the a/c callsign!

Norwich itself is a very 'Fine City' (as the signs say) - I should know, I spent the first 22 years of my life there and most of my family are still there. If you have time, visit the Castle Museum or the Cathedral (very similar to Salisbury cathedral).

Looking forward to my next trip there (in the 172 this time).... but I think I won't bother with the epaulettes....