PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ID Para Wings
Thread: ID Para Wings
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2015, 21:21
Lordflasheart

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
To add a little to the above -

Polish Army parachute badge, WWII - my info and image were taken from this learned website – but regret I can no longer make the link work - http://www.16bpd.pl/eng/index.php?t=historia_symbolika

I understand this badge was worn on the left breast. Metal, with the individual's name stamped on reverse. The gold laurel wreath was added straight after Arnhem, and was introduced to indicate a combat jump.

British Army parachute wings, WWII

Army Council Instruction ACI 1589 28 Dec 1940 stated that the parachute qualification badge was awarded after a specified number of jumps and was to be worn on the right arm midway between shoulder and elbow. Qualified personnel could wear the badge in perpetuity unless they refused a jump.

ACI 1274 17 Jun 1942 revised the position of the badge to 2 inches below the shoulder seam as the original position led to the wings being worn in front of stripes.

Apparently the only personnel authorised to wear the parachute qualification badge on the breast were SOE agents who had made an operational jump.

LFH