PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot FRI
Thread: Pilot FRI
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2015, 20:52
Bloodhound Loose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The saddest part of this whole thread is the paucity of replies. I genuinely sense that a great many of our pilots, both experienced and junior, have given up. They seem to be either walking away, or working on a plan to walk away.

One might argue that we have been here before - many times. However, I sense that this time things are different. The organization is at its smallest ever at a time when the external market is looking for staggering numbers, simply not seen before. A smaller organization, with smaller margins, we are exposed to 'strategic shock' of losing numbers that we could afford in previous decades.

Match that against the capacity of our training system and I think we've sleepwalked into some worrying times. There is certainly no way we can generate the mass of baby pilots that we could 10-15 years ago - we don't have the numbers of training aircraft or QFIs.

The harsh reality is that if we can't put the plug in, and can't turn the taps on, the level of bathwater will drop. I derive not one ounce of enjoyment from watching it unfold.