PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maritime Patrol Capability: The SDSR’s Wolf Whistle
Old 25th Sep 2015, 14:04
LowObservable

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Ivan,

Ref. the platform choice, only one of those is actually real, the others are powerpoint presentations, models and empty promises from salesmen who will say anything to secure the deal.

That's a bit of an overstatement. Airbus for one has delivered ASW aircraft to Brazil, Spain and Chile - in some cases using the Merlin HM2 acoustics or a version thereof.

Also all those platforms have a huge flaw when it comes to ASW, current generation subs wouldn't struggle to hide from them, future ones could potentially destroy them.

I haven't seen any sub-based air defense systems deployed, although they've been played with since the 1970s. It's still poor odds, particularly against a platform with DIRCM (which is pretty standard on large military aircraft). If you don't succeed with the first shot you are toast.

That said, I have occasionally heard this as a reason for doing high-altitude ASW, but it's not the one I hear most often.