PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Support / Advice / ? Throw in the towel
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2015, 22:40
alex90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clinique_happy,

Definitely DON'T GIVE UP!

I remember having quite a bit of frustration with navigation when I first learnt. I also remember my instructor being SO frustrated that I could fly the plane very well, and I could navigate (well.. kind of) - but I couldn't for the life of me do the two bits together.

My 2pence worth of advice is really simple, apply yourself, give yourself time - here are some tips that not only got me through but also saved my life since:

1. Build up a general knowledge of the area:
- Download Google Earth - get the scale to around the height you normally fly at, find your airport. (this gives you perspective).
- Get your 1:500k map out and find the airport too.
- Find the most noticeable places around on the map which you would use as turning points, and identify them from the Google Earth at the height at which you would normally fly.
- Don't look at field colours or anything that you know will change - look at shapes, and built up area shapes (make sure you have clear identifiable features).
- Spend a considerable amount of time on this, as you'll soon build up a picture of what is around you and this will be invaluable in the future (not only when learning).

2. Prepare Properly
- Take your time to plan flights really well, and really thoroughly. I would normally go through the process of firstly drawing on my 1:500k map carefully, guestimate the flight direction (it is a very good skill to have later on - diversions etc).
- Add drift lines this will give you a reasonable expectation of where you will end up if the calculated wind is as accurate as you'd like.
- Do your plog (or route log), calculate everything properly except the wind (which you should do just before flying).
- Look at your route on the map and look for features you should see, look at ways you can identify them, and where you should be in relation to them.
- Look at the same route on Google Earth, again at the height at which you are planning on flying, and again try to identify the same features and where you should be in relation to them. (do the whole route - not just a bit of it).
- Also take the time to look at things which are around your planned route so that should it not go 100% to plan that you at least have a vague idea of where you are!
- THEN actually try to fly the route in Google Earth, have your map ready and look for those features you mentioned - an alternative to this is to use a flight simulator such as X Plane which is incredibly accurate, and this can also give you the kind of speed you'd be looking for etc... (i would first do it in nil wind, and then add wind!)

3. On The Day Prep
- Probably obvious - but I remember this affected me heavily when I learnt (and I didn’t notice until quite late in my training):
- Sleep well (at least the couple of nights prior to flight - I forced 8 hours sleep)
- Eat well
- Leave ALL stress / work behind
- Check the weather thoroughly
- Add in the wind on your map
- Calculate your wind on your pliog, make sure it makes sense (basic rule of thumbs)
- Add BIG arrows next to each leg on your map (not overlapping important information), I normally put my heading (calculated including wind) in the arrow head, the planned speed including wind as the first item in the arrow body, the distance below that, the time it will take for your leg, and finally below that the minimum safety altitude (which will be more important later on in your flying).
- Try to visualise the features you have been referencing in 1 and 2 that are on your map (get the mental picture)

4. Flying the Navigation
- I am guessing that you’ve done a bit of it by this stage, so keep doing the good stuff, smooth, calm, precise.
- Make sure to have everything you need at hand prior to take-off (plog, map, pencil, backup pencil.…)
- Time, Turn, Talk
- Quick, frequent, checks on instruments, double checking the compass and DI align properly, speed, heading.
- Use everything to your advantage to make your flight easy
- Check on features you know you were going to pass, look at where you are in relation to these features, make small adjustments as appropriate
- Most importantly - Relax… Don’t freak out and ENJOY IT!

Hope this helps!