PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WTF -
Thread: WTF -
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2015, 17:13
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And sometimes there are very professional F/Os who simply do not want the hassle/responsibility of sitting in the left seat.

In my first airline after I left the RAF we had about half a dozen that I would call "Professional First Officers". One of them had been a Lancaster captain in WW II and he had been shot down and captured. He did not want to be a captain ever again and I can tell you that he was a joy to fly with.

Some of the others had worked their b*lls off and had reached the dizzy heights of having a CPL/IR and did not want to go any further. I think I can honestly say that they were also a joy to fly with.

Later in life, when our original company had gone bust and we were all flying for different companies, I got a call from one of them. His current company had gone down the pan and he was looking for a job.

I rang the Managing Director and told him that I had a great co-pilot looking for a job and that I knew him well but the big problem might be that he was 52 years old.

I shall never forget the response:

"I like my pilots to have no hair or grey hair".

Nowadays, he nor I, would have any chance of getting past the Human Remains department. More fool them.