PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WTF -
Thread: WTF -
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2015, 16:11
Count of Monte Bisto

Received 258 Likes on 90 Posts
I am a former employee of Jet 2 (when they were Channel Express) and know the situation there quirte well. At the risk of being a party-pooper here, allow me to present an alternative perspective. The question that any recruitment team is going to ask when presented with a 55 year-old FO, is why is he/she not a captain? Many people at that stage in their careers are senior TREs and therefore to be still an FO is going to raise alarm bells in any recruiter's mind. i accept that we have unwisely ceased to look at experience when it comes to recruitment, and no one laments that more than me. However, hours alone are not a guarantee of quality. The inate personal skills of the individual are extremely important and no one wants to soak up someone else's problems. The other question to be asked in this case is why did a current FO walk out of Jet 2 with no job to go to. Once again, any recruiter will take one look at that and in most cases steer well clear. In a nutshell, if I were recruiting and decided to look at someone in the stuation described, I would want a long, hard look at the individual's training and employment record as there are, at first glance, some oddities here. It is possible that the individual involved here is a 'late entrant' into flying, but sadly again statistics do not favour such candidates in terms of future success. I am sorry to be so stark and negative here, but I am only saying what is almost certainly being said behind closed doors. Therefore, to have any chance of further employment as a pilot, aces low needs to have a very good and well-presented case that explains those issues very clearly to an employer, as I can promise him that is what they are thinking. If there are credible answers to the questions of experience not really matching up to age, walking out of a perfectly good employer with no job to go to and no command time at age 55 , then the way forward is to find someone in a target airline who will present the details of your case to the Chief Pilot personally. Without that personal intervention I unfortunately see signficant diffficulties ahead in terms of your future employability as a pilot.