PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - East Midlands
Thread: East Midlands
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2015, 09:52
ATNotts

Received 298 Likes on 168 Posts
EastMids

So far as the lo-co market is concerned, there is a limit to the number of new destinations that will provide the volume and yield that the likes of Ryanair and Jet2 require for their business models, and sooner or later, and I think it's sooner rather than later, EMA will reach saturation point on the old faithfuls like Malaga and Palma. BHX has in recent years under served these markets, but the pendulum would appear to be swinging back westwards, to the detriment of EMA.

Unfortunately, the UK is too far west to be a true European hub for express, so as far as DHL is concerned EMA has to share the role with Leipzig. Leipzig, Cologne and Liege
This is very true; you can't be a major logistics hub on the extreme edges of the market geographically - but DHL is giving it a darn good go despite the UK's geographical limitations.

And unsurprisingly EMA's figures for cargo carried on passenger services is hardly stellar - 8 tonnes in 2014 according to the CAA!
Given that the overwhelming majority of passenger services are operated by carriers that don't want freight, it's quite amazing that 8 tonnes were carried on scheduled PAX flights - I might have expected nearer 800 kg!

MAG is at the moment prepared to let EMA just tick over
I doubt it's quite as simple as that; more likely the management has been given financial targets to maximise profit, rather than chase passenger numbers, so growing that side of the business organically whilst putting the investment into the core business, which is cargo (and the integrators in particular).