PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR - Steeper Approaches trial 14 September 2015
Old 23rd Sep 2015, 21:45
BBK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think some people have forgotten that this is a trial, although not the last few comments to be fair, so let's see what the results show when the trial is complete. As someone who used to conduct trials work one might have an idea of the expected results but sometimes the actual data confounds this. It's called having an open mind!

The increase in angle, I should imagine, is a non event as max angle (appropriate name) has said. Perhaps gear and landing flap a tad earlier or even "non standard flap 20" on the 744 ie flap and delayed gear. I guess in calm/ tail wind conditions then one might be at thrust idle for a greater duration but that should help all other factors being the same.

Will it make a difference that is discernible to the public under the flight path? Maybe not but I believe the trial is more than just about a steeper approach for noise issues. The subject of speed control with respect to time based separation will be addressed I'm sure. Just my two penn'orth.