PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reason you take up flying?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2015, 20:57
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to be in the air. Always been plane mad, Airfix kits, books, films etc as a nipper; but more into the engineering side. Was an aircraft techy for many years, fixing broken jets during which time I became a glider pilot. Wanted a new flying challenge in later years so did my PPL.

As mentioned in previous posts, flying appeals to the engineer/discipline side of me. I always think of Richard Bach's short story about just sitting in the cockpit of his aircraft, being amazed at the potential of it, how with a few movements of his hands he could make magic happen. I still get a buzz out of just starting the engine, that's how anal I am about it. I love the smell of cockpits, I like the way that the instruments tell me what I need to know, I'm still amazed that I can fly down an invisible beam (Ok two invisible beams) and make a safe landing in crap weather. There's the whole other world and beauty of night flying, and tell me what is better than getting airborne on a crap day, climbing through the clag and breaking out into a sea of brilliant white. That is just magic. It's just endless. Every time I land and walk away I feel better about the world. Refreshment for the soul.

Flying is special. Someone once said that we owe it to the billions of humans before us that have looked longingly at the sky to enjoy every second that we are airborne. I do my best.