PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2015, 20:48
Lonewolf_50

Received 449 Likes on 284 Posts
Originally Posted by LowObservable
Problem does not appear to have been fixed.
LO, I am a bit surprised at your take on this.

Seat limitations are not a new phenomenon.

It's not a problem to be fixed, it is a constraint / envelope / limitation imposed by the physics you describe regarding the effect on the human body of that rocket motor going off to separate the pilot from the aircraft ... with margin of safety (x) added in by the anthro gurus to arrive at a final "we can live with this" result.

Before I retired from the Navy, you could go to the manual and clearly see in writing the upper and lower limits of body shape and mass that allowed a student pilot to be permitted to fly in the Jet training pipeline in the T-45. Some were too big, a few too small, and the Navy had to get compelling support from the NAMI/NOMI flight surgeons and physiologists to allow a waiver. I had to do the staff work on that on more than one occasion.

If the long pole in the tent is the helmet (which looks to be a beast to me) then I can live with a few feathermerchants not qualifying for F-35.

134 pounds isn't a very big person ... someone that small may also run into effective reach problems when the anthro measurements are taken.

@msbbarrat: did you fly much in ejection sea aircraft?